Piano Teacher Required for February 2023
(Commencing February 2023)
Qatar Foundation Schools - Leading Learning
Since its inception, Qatar Foundation has been committed to providing world-class school curricula to realize the vision of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Father Amir, and Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of Qatar Foundation, stipulating that the future of the State of Qatar is based on the development of its most important resource, Qatari minds. Qatar Foundation started its journey in 1995 with the opening of Qatar Academy - Doha. The Division of Pre-University Education (PUE) later expanded to include seventeen academies and other educational programs, namely: Qatar Academy - Al Wakra; Qatar Academy - Msheireb; Qatar Academy - Al Khor; Qatar Academy - Sidra; Qatar Academy for Science and Technology; Qatar Leadership Academy; Awsaj Academy; Renad Academy; Academyati; Tariq Bin Ziad School; the Academic Bridge Program and the Qatar Armed Services Academic Officer Program; Motivation, Accreditation and Review Qatar; The Learning Center; and the Education Development Institute.
Qatar Music Academy joined the PUE family in 2020, having previously been part of the QF Division of Community Development. These leading educational centers, operating under the umbrella of the Qatar Foundation Division of Pre-University Education, aspire to fulfill Qatar Foundation’s vision of unlocking human potential by offering the best academic curricula and so contributing to the development and dissemination of a culture of excellence and innovation.
Qatar Music Academy (QMA), the first music academy in the country, was established to develop promising young talent from the region to be the next generation of world-class musicians. The academy provides a comprehensive music education program based on practice and musicianship through its Arab and Western Music departments. Each department offers two programs: The Academic Music and Music for All programs. QMA also provides a special Music Appreciation program developed for young children aged 4-5. The school’s environment encourages all students to achieve their full music potential and pursue a diverse range of career options related to the music industry. It also provides music education for external certification through the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM).
There are 38 professional musicians from all around the world who provide all individual and ensemble coaching.
QMA will be internationally renowned for excellent music education incorporating both Arab and Western music, thereby helping to foster a thriving music culture in Qatar and the region.
Qatar Music Academy (QMA) aims to develop promising talent from the region to be the next generation of world-class musicians by providing comprehensive music education programs in Arab and Western classical music. Both curricula are based on performance and musicianship. QMA will provide an environment that encourages students to achieve their potential.
Person specifications, qualifications and experience
- Minimum Batchelor’s degree (BA Hons) in Piano Performance (Master’s degree desirable)
- Minimum of 10 years piano teaching experience
- Experience in teaching students from the age of 6 to 18 years old, including adult students.
- Experience in Music education research & best practices; and program development and evaluation
- Must be actively involved in music as a performer and have some experience in event management (organizing and conducting class recitals and ensemble concerts)
- Must have excellent skills in Microsoft Office (experience with music writing and editing software and other tools of music technology is desirable)
- Experience with specialized curriculum design and academic admin work
- Experience with international examinations, including the ABRSM examinations
- Experience in academic evaluation systems and structures for students (writing progress reports participating in exams’ Jury, giving academic feedback)
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills
- Excellent English verbal and written skills (Proficiency in Arabic desirable)
- Understanding and experience with fostering a culture of collaboration
- Knowledge of and experience with Child Protection and Safeguarding in a music education context
- A positive, goal-oriented, child-centered team member and teacher who has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to create a dynamic and positive class environment conducive to student learning, skills development, and social-emotional wellbeing
- Ability to problem-solve, think creatively to find solutions, and stay calm and focused in stressful situations
- Ability to anticipate problem issues before they arise and make plans to overcome them
- Ability to develop a positive relationship with students’ parents and communicate clearly and in a timely manner
- Ability to inspire and engage students and colleagues in a shared and collaborative manner as a teacher and a team member
- Ability to think strategically and plan to meet long-term and short-term goals of the school
- Demonstrates continuous professional growth by seeking a variety of professional opportunities
- Builds and maintains positive student morale and high motivation toward music education
- Shows cultural awareness and respect for the local culture and traditions
Duties and responsibilities
- Be familiar with the piano and musicianship syllabuses, guidelines, and regulations of QMA internal exams and ABRSM practical exams
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive music program
- Assist in assessing instructional materials and equipment needed for the music program
- Attend all mandatory training (E.g., Child Protection and Safeguarding) conducted by QMA and PUE
- Attend all staff meetings scheduled by the Director of QMA
- Attend all Western Music Department meetings scheduled by the Head of the Western Music Department
- Attend all Piano faculty meetings scheduled by the faculty representative
- Attend all Professional Learning Days scheduled by QMA
- Participate in the jury of entry auditions, scholarship auditions, internal examinations
- Support QMA’s outreach programs
- Identify, diagnose, and prescribe remediation for individual learning difficulties
- Assist in curriculum development and selection of texts, equipment & other instructional material
- Follow QMA protocols for assessments, maintaining records, and reporting on progress and achievement
- Provide prompt and frequent feedback to students and parents
- Conduct interesting, well-planned, and well-paced classes using a variety of instructional techniques, differentiation strategies, and media appropriate to the lesson and the needs and capabilities of the students
- Reflect on and review personal teaching methods and schemes of work regularly to improve as an educator
- Implement programs and initiatives adopted by the QMA administration
- Undertake reasonable duties of supervision of students during non-teaching time (e.g., during concerts)
- Maintaining a safe, secure, and pleasant learning environment for students
- Organize and conduct compulsory class recitals and concerts per academic term
- Maintain open lines of communication with all QMA staff
- Establish and maintain open and positive lines of communication with students and their parents
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the post as may be required from time to time by the Director. These variations will not change the general character of the post or the level of responsibility entailed
Salary and benefits
Salary is highly competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing allowance, health, and life insurance.
Candidates wishing to learn more about QMA can go to the school’s website: qatarmusicacademy.com.qa
The deadline for receipt of applications is January 8, 2023. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Short-listed candidates will be invited to attend an interview in person on January 12 and 13, 2023.
Candidates should note that Qatar Foundation Schools reserve the right to appoint a successful candidate at any time, even before the deadline mentioned, if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time. Candidates should complete in full the application form. In compliance with Safer Recruitment principles, applications with incomplete application forms will not be considered.
Applications should be addressed to the Director, Mr. Zlatan Fazlic firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to:
QMA’s HR focal person: Ms. Rita El Mheir - email@example.com
Qatar Foundation Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and the vulnerable, and expects all who apply to share in this commitment. Offers of interview and employment will be subject to an enhanced background and criminal record check. All employees, volunteers, and visitors in QF schools are subject to the provisions of the QF Schools Child Protection Policy.
Equality and access
Qatar Foundation Division of Pre-University is committed to ensuring that applicants and employees from all sections of the community are treated equally and not discriminated against, and we welcome applications from candidates with additional needs and disabilities.